List of Feelings
Ways to Manage My Anger
- Tell the person, “I am mad at you, but I don’t want to talk to you about it until I calm down.”
- Take a time-out to cool down.
- Use “I” messages vs. “You” messages.
- Do something physical or exercise.
- Count to 10 or backwards from 100.
- Walk away.
- Take some deep breaths, relax.
- Talk about my feelings with somebody I trust.
- Use teamwork.
- Yell at the top of my voice away from people.
- Hit my pillow or a punching bag.
Anger Management Skills
Modeling skills sends the strongest message.
- Identify the underlying cause.
Look at what is causing the situation.
- Decide how to behave.
Plan out ahead of time how you are going to behave.
3. Talk directly with the person involved.
Use “I” messages and say how you feel about what happened.
4. Get help.
If steps 1,2, and 3 don’t work, find someone to help negotiate.
GOAL: COMPROMISE TO CREATE A WIN / WIN SITUATION